Chief Engineering Manager, Offshore Business Unit, Technip USA, Houston
Expert on Offshore Engineering and Risers, College of Experts, Technip Group
Receiver of 2013 Jacques Franquelin Award, Technip Group
PHD, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1998
MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1997
MS, Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 1990
BSc, Mechanics, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, 1985
Over twenty-eight (28) years of engineering experience in marine/offshore and mechanical engineering. Extensive research and project experience in deepwater development, and expertise in floating structures hull, mooring and risers, subsea systems, and project management. Areas of expertise encompass structures, hydrodynamics, well system and risers, ship building, etc. Leadership skills, experienced in EPC project management, organization management,industrial R&D, with offshore and shipyard experience, with international working experience. Thorough understanding of ships and floating systems, well system/risers and subsea, withpractical shipbuilding experience and project experience of Spar, TLP, Semisubmersible,FPSO, and engineering/delivery experience on a variety of risers including top tensioned risers (TTRs) and steel catenary risers (SCRs), flexibles, etc. Numerous technical papers were published as an author or co-author.
(1) Xu, L. and Chen, J. “ADVANTAGES OF POLYESTER MOORING FOR DEEPWATER FLOATERS”, OMAE2014-23976, June 8-13, 2014, San Francisco, CA, USA
(2) Xu, L. and Jing, X. “Calculating Riser Dynamic Effects on Spar Motions in Waves", ISOPE2013-TPC-1121, June30−July 5, 2013, Anchorage, Alaska, USA
(3) Xu, L., Tu, Q. and Zhou J. “Introduction to Offshore Platform Global Weight Management Database Program",OMAE2013-11628, June 9-14, 2013, Nantes, France
(4) Xu, L. “DESIGN OPTIMIZATION OF TOP-TENSIONED RISERS FOR DEEPWATER HPHT APPLICATIONS(PART II)", OMAE2011, June 19-24, 2011, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
(5) Cheng, Y, Xu, L., and Stanton, P. “Investigation DESIGN CHALLENGES OF TOP TENSIONED RISERS IN ULTRADEEPWATER APPLICATIONS", OMAE2011, OMAE2011, June 19-24, 2011, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
(6) Xu, L. and Stanton, P. “DESIGN OPTIMIZATION OF TOP-TENSIONED RISERS FOR DEEPWATER HPHTAPPLICATIONS (PART I)", OMAE 2010, June 6-11, 2010, Shanghai, China
(7) Cheng, Y, Xu, L., Lambrakos, K. F. and Muriby, K. “Investigation of VIV Fatigue Prediction for a Top TensionedRiser", OMAE 2009, May 31, June 5, 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii
(8) Ghosh, R., Xu, L., and Emmerson, T. “Sidetracking Operation from the Horn Mountain Spar", DeepGulf 2008,December 2008, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
(9) Xu, L. and Stanton, P. “Top Tensioned Riser Design for XHPHT Development in Ultra-Deepwater", Deep Offshore Technology International (DOT 2008), Houston, Texas, USA, February 2008
(10) Xu, L. “Design Options of a Top Tensioned Riser for XHPHT Development in Ultra-Deepwater", DryTree and Riser Forum 2007, Houston, Texas, USA, November 2007
(11) Xu, L. and Stanton, P. “Conceptual Design For Utilizing Buoyancy Can To Support Spar Drilling Riser", to present on 26th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE 2007), 10-15 June 2007,San Diego, California, USA
(12) Xu, L. “Design Options of Top Tensioned Risers for Ultra-Deepwater Applications”, the 1st International Symposiumon Deepwater Offshore Technology (ISDOT), Harbin, China, April.2006
(13) Murray, J., Sablok, A., Xu, L., Finnigan, T. and Aramanadka, S. "A Large Deck Extendable Draft Platform Design for Ultra-Deepwater in the Gulf of Mexico", OMAE2005-67310, the Proceedings of the 24th International Conferenceon Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE 2005), Halkidiki, Greece, June 12-16, 2005.
(14) Xu, L. and Stanton, P. "VIV Analysis Methodology for Spar Drilling Risers with Buoyancy Modules", accepted toDeep Offshore Technology International Conference and Exhibition XVI (DOT 2004), New Orleans, Louisiana, November 30-December 2, 2004.
(15) Xu, L., Xu, Q., Hough, C. and Murray, J. "Design Features of Risers for the Extendable Draft Platform (EDP)", the Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE 2004), Vancouver, Canada, June 20-25, 2004.
(16) Xu, Q. and Xu, L. "An Introduction to Extendable Draft Platform (EDP)", The Proceedings of Fourteenth International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference (ISOPE 2004), Toulon, France, May 23-28, 2004.
Selected Awards and Honors
Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Chairman, International Association of Ocean Engineers (IAOE)